Flash roamed campus for walk of shame potentials

Rachel Weese, sophmore HDF youth studies major, is cited for wearing a non-KSU college sweatshirt on campus Tuesday. Flash hunted down students and handed out T-shirts to several offenders to boost campus pride. Photo by Valerie Brown.

Mike Crissman

Kent State students took the walk of shame after getting caught wearing other colleges’ T-shirts. The Alumni Association and Flash, Kent State’s mascot, went around campus Tuesday looking for Golden Flashes in need of some school spirit.

“We’re issuing you a citation,” said Carrie Circosta, assistant director for alumni relations, to Bradley Biben who was found wearing an Ohio State T-shirt in the Student Center.

“I was just trying to match my outfit,” Biben, sophomore exploratory major, said. “I got a couple more Ohio State shirts, but I have a lot of Kent stuff too.”

In total, the Alumni Association caught 15 Kent State students wearing clothing from other colleges, including Duke, Pittsburgh, UCLA, Nebraska and Indiana University. Each of the students was given a Kent State shirt that read, “Caught on the Walk of Shame” and forced to say, “I’m a Flash, and I’m proud!”

Circosta said the Alumni Association’s “Walk of Shame” cause is an effort to boost Kent State students’ pride in their university.

“I think they have a lot to be proud of,” Circosta said. “This is Kent State. You should be wearing Kent State stuff. If you’re at Ohio State you’re not going to see people wearing Kent State stuff. You’re going to see them wearing Ohio State stuff. We’re trying to get that here.”

Biben said he enjoyed the experience Tuesday.

“It’s cool,” Biben said. “It’s something to get people hyped about Kent.”

Rebecca Lazarus was caught wearing a Case Western Reserve shirt in the Hub.

“When they came up to me, I kind of thought I was doing something wrong,” Lazarus, senior biology major, said. “I didn’t know what though. I was just a little confused at first, but I saw Flash around so I knew something was going on.”

Lazarus received the Case Western shirt after touring the Cleveland school a couple years ago. She said the non-reaction of Kent State students when their school’s mascot entered the Hub Tuesday was indicative of the lack of pride she feels many students have with the university.

“Flash walked into (the Hub), and no one was really excited and ra-ra to see him,” Lazarus said.

Tuesday was the first of three times the Alumni Association will be going around campus unannounced this semester searching for students with non-KSU college shirts.

Contact Mike Crissman at [email protected]