COLLEGE STUDENT’S GUIDE TO STAYING HEALTHY

Photo courtesy of MCT Campus

Claire Thomas

With Spring’s long-awaited arrival, people are shedding clothes and enjoying the outdoors, but, be careful! This kind of weather can be tricky since the temperatures are still cool. Here are a few tips for college students wanting to stay healthy!

• Eat a healthy breakfast!

A healthy breakfast is the best energy booster , even more effective than coffee. A balanced breakfast including fruits, veggies and protein also impacts your cravings throughout the day! People who eat a healthy, large breakfast are shown to have healthier eating habits.

• Drink Water!

Drink at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day! Water is responsible for overall health and well-being. It is involved in every function in the body, including circulation, digestion, absorption of nutrients and the transmission of electrical currents in the body which control our nerves, muscles and hormones. So drink it!

• Take a multivitamin!

No matter how healthy someone’s diet is, anyone can miss a few essential vitamins and minerals in a day. Multivitamins give a full serving of dozens of important vitamins which are not always included in a healthy diet.

• Go Outside!

Sunlight is just as important as any other vitamin. Sunlight produces vitamin D, which is responsible for the protection of bones, muscles, and even helps in the fight against some cancers and diabetes. Sunlight is also a natural antidepressant. So, enjoy the fresh air!

• Get Physical!

Obviously, exercise has many positive effects on the body, but it can also improve your mood! After a great workout, don’t you feel so much better about yourself? It’s also no mystery that when you look better, you feel better as well.

• Keep regular sleeping hours!

A solid 8 hours of sleep a night is extremely beneficial. It improves energy and rests the body, allowing it to respond better to stressful situations and helps keep anxiety levels low. Sleep also wards off headaches and improves the body’s immune system.

• Walk to class!

However tempting Parta may be, walking to class is a way healthier alternative. While walking, you receive vitamin D from the sun (if it’s sunny that day), and the additional exercise will make you feel great!

• Avoid excessive drinking!

Alcohol is a main contributing factor in the decline of a college student’s health. It is unrealistic to expect that college students are willing to give up a good time in order to protect their health, so remember that moderation is key! Make sure you’re able to take care of yourself!

• Don’t smoke!

If you are a smoker, quit! If you aren’t a smoker, stay that way! Smoking causes more fatalities, annually, than HIV, illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.