Book sheds ‘light’ on gay bullying

Adrienne Savoldi

Instances of bullying against homosexuals are still reported today, including the instance last fall when Tyler Clementi committed suicide after his roommate streamed his sexual encounter with another male live online. And Clementi is not the only victim of anti-gay bullying.?

Robert W. Littlefield, who is also gay himself, is the author of “And It Was Full of Light!” which he wrote to help gays understand that they are not alone and should not feel inferior because of who they are.

The book is about a gay high school boy, Bobby Fowler, who comes out in his sophomore year, only to be harassed and almost killed for being who he is. Beaten in the boys locker room, Bobby’s attackers leave him for dead where he is discovered by Kyle Faulkner, the star football player and best-looking guy in school. Despite the life-threatening injuries Bobby sustains during the beating, he manages to pick himself up and throw himself into his exceptional music talent, including working as a DJ for a gay club. Supported by his two best friends Chloe and Danny, Bobby makes a name for himself through his music and holding an anti-prom when the school administration will not allow gay couples to attend together.

The book is told in first person, and there is a more realistic interpretation of the events occurring. It helps the reader grasp Bobby’s feelings to Kyle’s discovery and his fear that things will end badly.

Chloe was one of the best characters in the book. It was a shame not to see more of her as the story progressed and focused more on the football guys, who once tormented Bobby but have become friends with him by their senior year of high school. In fact, more focus is put on Kyle, Helen and Josh visiting Bobby when he’s confined to the hospital than on Danny and Chloe visiting, even though they stick with Bobby throughout the book.

The book also has other characters come out during the course of the story, including two 15-year-old boys and a star football player from the rival high school. This helps show Bobby and the other characters that being gay is more common than they imagined.

This book was well-written, but there were a few instances, like in his descriptions of events, in which the book could have been more concise. Littlefield’s description of the characters actions; however, is extraordinary vivid and gives the entire book life.

The story was mind-blowing, especially when you think about a young boy, about 15-years-old, almost getting killed just because he’s gay. Several parts of this book are tear-jerkers, especially since the reader knows Bobby will survive, but has no clue whether or not he can play his drums again or how he will react throughout the rest of the book.

Great job to Mr. Littlefield on this spectacular book. People should read this and learn tolerance for not only gay people but anybody who may seem different from what a certain person may perceive as normal.

Contact Adrienne Savoldi at [email protected].