Papp elected new USG executive director

Caitlin Restelli

Anticipation filled the Student Center’s main lobby as a crowd of about 50 people waited for the 2011-2012 Undergraduate Student Government election results to appear on a blank TV screen.

Heads dropped at the sight of losing, while excited cheers erupted in celebration of victory.

“One of the coolest things is the support you get throughout the process,” said Kevin Papp, USG executive director winner. “I don’t think you truly realize the impact that USG has on the student body until you see the number of people that show up for voting.”

USG’s new officials

Executive Director: Kevin Papp

Director of Community Affairs: D’Angelo McCornell

Director of Governmental Affairs: Evan Gildenblatt

Director of Academic Affairs: Brittinie Jermon

Director of Student Involvement: Paige Demattie

Director of Communications: Amish Patel

Director of Business and Finance: James Kirk

Director of Programming: Jeffrey Hammond

Director of Student Advancement: Carl Fejko

Senator for College of the Arts: Tiffany Lloyd

Senator for College Business Administration: Justin Cady

Senator for College of Communication and Information: David Sadvari

Senator for College of Education, Health and Human Services: Write-in

Senator for College of Arts and Sciences: Cari-el Steward

Senator for College of Nursing: Mikayla Farrell

Senator for College of Technology: Write-in

Senator for College of Public Health: Shelby Barnes

Senator for College of Architecture and Environmental Design: Andrew Rasner

Senator for Honors College: Angela Snyder

At the end of the election, 2,235 students voted for directors and college senators.

Papp’s opponent, Avery Danage, junior communication studies major, said he was excited that his campaign reached more students than he was actually able to meet with.

“They heard my message somehow, whether it was walking through the Hub, or walking through academic buildings.” Danage said.

D’Angelo McCornell, who won Director of Community Affairs, said his hard work and dedication to his campaign lead him to success.

“I felt success,” said McCornell.

McCornell, senior business management major, is currently senator for the College of Business Administration.

“I really feel excited to still be able to do my leadership another year,” he said.

Lauren Romick, freshman pre-accounting major, ran for the Honors College senator position, but fell 15 votes short of the winner.

“I’m a little upset, but I’m still really happy because Angela Snyder, the person that won, is a great candidate and she’ll do a really excellent job,” Romick said.

After people filtered out of the student center lobby, Papp, junior international relations major, said there are many opportunities next year that he is looking forward to starting.

“I congratulate all of the candidates on their hard-fought campaigns,” Papp said. “And I look forward to working with all of our incoming USG members to help Kent State through a good year to come.”

Contact Caitlin Restelli at [email protected]