New summer online classes introduced

Jessica Costello

Fifteen more online classes are available to students for summer sessions I, II and III.

The Office of Continuing and Distance Education has been receiving an increasing number of submissions for online course proposals from faculty members.

“We had so many submissions this year that we deferred some,” said Marilyn Bokrass, outreach program manager. “Those deferred will get the support in the future but couldn’t be developed right now.”

Since Summer 2010, Kent State has seen a demand for online courses and significant growth in online enrollment.

“I think faculty are finding benefits to online classes and the interaction they have with students, and the creative opportunities available give a richer experience for everyone,” Bokrass said.

Each faculty member creating an online course is awarded a $3,000 Summer Online Course Development Grant to provide extra compensation for their work and to help the education technologists develop the course into Vista, according to the university’s distance learning website.

New online courses available this summer

1. Introduction to Liberal Studies

2. Fundamental English Grammar

3. Special Topics n Architecture Integrated Project Delivery & Design/Build vs. Traditional Practice

4. Public Finance

5. Physics in Entertainment and the Arts

6. Physics in Entertainment and the Arts (Laboratory)

7. Public Communication in Society

8. Investor Relations and Financial Public Relations

9. History of Colonial America (1492 – 1714)

10. Advanced Instrumental Methods

11. Prevention & Control of Diseases

12. Science of Human Nutrition

13. Communicable Diseases

14. Anatomy & Physiology I

15. Medical Terminology

“The pace has picked up for developing new courses for every semester, but this grant has provided some extra oomph to develop courses specifically for summer,” Bokrass said.

She added that this is a change from previous years.

“Two years ago or so, the challenge was to create a process for developing the classes, get faculty interested and address some of the myths around distance learning,” Bokrass said.

According to Kent State’s distance learning website, the grant for online course development is awarded to the faculty member who meets the criteria and must be chosen by the dean of his or her specific college. In order to be considered, the faculty member of that course must submit a proposal that explains the strategic plan and why that course can provide benefits to the largest number of students.

All full and part-time faculty members at any of the eight campuses are eligible.

“The process is going pretty smoothly, but right now staffing seems to be a problem,” Bokrass said.

To help faculty develop the online courses, the university hired educational technologists before the hiring freeze. There is currently a shortage of educational technologists to develop new online courses, but the university plans on hiring more personnel in the future.

Contact Jessica Costello at [email protected].