Community welcomed to MLK weekend events

Daniel Moore

Students, faculty members and other community members will come together this weekend to celebrate the life and challenges of Martin Luther King Jr.

The Portage County National Association for the Advancement of Colored People will host its annual Martin Luther King Prayer Breakfast Saturday morning at the Kent United Church of Christ.

The event begins at 8 a.m. in the church’s fellowship hall and features an exhibit of original art honoring King.

“The partnership is between area churches, community centers, the university, county commissioners and students,” said Geraldine Hayes-Nelson, the university’s assistant vice president for pipeline initiates and diversity programming.

Hayes-Nelson said there would be diverse performances from both Kent State students and from a faculty member from the Department of Pan-African Studies.

Tickets will be sold at the door and cost $8 for adults and $5 for students.

The Prayer Warriors, an award-winning gospel choir, will be on stage for a free concert Sunday at 4 p.m. to celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., also being held at the Kent United Church of Christ.

The choir has performed with the Akron Symphony Orchestra and provided background for Josh Groban and Diana Ross.

The event will focus on King’s commitments to justice, community involvement and service and multicultural and interfaith cooperation.

“King’s birthday is a natural occasion for people of difference backgrounds and traditions to join together in good will and common cause,” said Reverend David Pattee, senior pastor of Kent United Church of Christ.

The church will answer any additional questions at 330-673-9534.

Contact Daniel Moore at [email protected].