RPA_08_DAurora_Holiday Donations

Elizabeth D'Aurora

It’s almost impossible to think of the holidays without thinking of the less fortunate and those who are helping them out during this joyous season.

Elizabeth D’Aurora has the story on what’s being done for the less fortunate in Portage County.

TAKE PKG: (2:00)

The Salvation Army has been helping those in need across the country for over 100 years through the red kettle collection program during the holiday season.

Captain Juanita Stanford, Corps Officer of the Portage County Salvation Army explains how it all began:

TAKE SOT: (CG: Capt. Juanita Stanford/Corps Officer, Portage County Salvation Army)

IT STARTED IN SAN FRANCISCO AS A BIG BUCKET TO KEEP THE POT BOILING FOR THOSE WHO WERE IN NEED.

And today, it continues – with 800 volunteers needed to operate the 16 locations around Portage County that are collecting donations in the red kettles.

The goal was set at $62,000 — $2,000 more than last year. And so far, the collection is on track with helping those in need and bringing the community together.

TAKE SOT

IT’S REALLY A WAY TO BRING THE COMMUNITY TOGETHER – THOSE WHO HAVE AND THOSE WHO DO NOT HAVE TO BE ABLE TO JUST HELP ONE ANOTHER – THAT’S WHAT COMMUNITY IS ALL ABOUT IS HELPING THOSE WHO ARE DOWN AND IN NEED.

One volunteer is paying it forward by helping the organization that helped him get back on his feet.

TAKE SOT: (CG: JOEY/GIVING BACK TO THE SALVATION ARMY)

THE SALVATION ARMY IS ALWAYS HELPING OUT – ME, MYSELF, ONCE UPON A TIME I WAS HOMELESS AND I NEEDED HELP AND THEY WERE THERE TO HELP ME.

STANDUP: (CG: ELIZABETH D’AURORA/TV2 REPORTER)

RIGHT DOWN THE ROAD FROM THE PORTAGE COUNTY SALVATION ARMY BUILDING IS THE CENTER OF HOPE CHRISTIAN CUPBOARD WHICH IS ALSO HELPING THOSE IN NEED THIS HOLIDAY SEASON.

About 100 people take advantage of the warm meals that are served on a daily basis under the guidance of Sister Denise Stiles who has been in charge of the center for 3 years.

But providing those meals isn’t possible without volunteers who get as much out of the opportunity as those who take advantage of the services that are offered.

TAKE SOT: (CG: SISTER DENISE STILES/CENTER OF HOPE MANAGER)

NOT ONLY ARE WE SERVING THE PEOPLE WHO COME FOR MEALS, WERE HELPING BROADEN A LOT OF PEOPLE.

The Center of Hope provides meals, a safe place and a sense of community for anyone who needs it during the holiday season.

TAKE SOT:

IT’S A SOCIAL GROUP THAT COMES IN EARLY IN THE MORNING. SO WE’RE IMPORTANT THERE IN HELPING KEEP PEOPLE AWARE OF EACH OTHER. THEY HAVE A PLACE TO COME – WHEN IT’S HOT OUTSIDE THEY CAN COME INSIDE TO OUR AIR CONDITION, WHEN IT’S COLD OUTSIDE THEY CAN COME INTO THE HEAT.

For TV2 news…I’m Elizabeth D’Aurora

TAG:

The most needed item at the Center of Hope during the holiday season is canned fruit. Both the Salvation Army and the Center of Hope are also collecting presents for the less fortunate.

CRITIQUE:

-I didn’t get video of people at the Center of Hope eating because I wasn’t allowed to film them. It would have made the video a lot better.

-Good nat sound

-video was good

-standup, I turn around and point to the building…not natural.