Flashes drop second in a row at Western Kentucky

Brad Tansey

The Kent State women’s basketball team dropped its second game in a row Tuesday in a 68-77 loss at Western Kentucky.

Kent State guard Jamilah Humes finished with a game-high 28 points and team-high six assists. Humes, a 5-foot-8 senior, shot 13 for 23 (56.5 percent) on the night.

“I mean, she had 28 points, and she was the only kid that I thought really competed for 40 minutes,” Kent State coach Bob Lindsay said in the post-game press conference. “She’s a heck of a player.”

In the first half, both teams’ offenses were on fire. The Flashes shot 10 for 14 in the first 15 minutes of the game. The Hilltoppers (2-5) finished the half shooting 16 for 32.

“We stopped making shots, and they started getting second shooting opportunities,” Lindsay said.

By the end of the game, the Flashes’ shooting percentage cooled off to 26 for 56 (46.4 percent), while Western Kentucky’s offense finished 26 for 54 (48.1 percent).

Senior forward Chenel Harris connected on three 3-pointers to give the Flashes an early 19-13 lead. Western Kentucky senior guard Amy McNear later hit a jumper to bring the Hilltoppers to within four points.

Western Kentucky fought to within three points when senior guard Hope Brown fired a 3-pointer to tie the game at 26 with 8:24 left in the first half.

After both teams went scoreless for about three minutes, Kent State broke the 26-26 tie when senior forward Taisja Jones hit a free throw after being fouled. Jones finished the game with 12 points and a team-high seven rebounds.

Western Kentucky took a 28-27 lead following a layup by 6-foot-2 senior forward Arnika Brown. She finished the game with a team-high 16 points.

“(Western Kentucky’s) got a good group of players,” Lindsay said. “I know they’ve lost some games here…Arnika Brown, when she’s playing well, is a heck of a player.”

Another free throw by Jones tied the game at 28. The Flashes went scoreless for the next two minutes.

Western Kentucky went on a 9-0 run late in the first half to take a 37-30 lead. The Flashes broke their scoreless drought on a pair of free throws by Harris with 23 seconds left in the half.

Brown fired a 3-pointer with four seconds left in the half to take a 40-32 lead heading into the locker room.

Harris finished the half perfect from the field, shooting 3 for 3 for 11 points.

Western Kentucky added a quick two points 17 seconds into the second half on a layup jumper by junior forward LaTeira Owens.

Kent State brought the game within four points on a pair of layups by Jones and Humes to bring the score to 46-42 with 15:23 left.

A shot attempt by Jones was blocked by Brown on the following offensive possession for the Flashes. Humes rebounded the ball, but Brown stole the ball and passed it to McNear on the fast break for a layup to give the Hilltoppers a 48-42 lead.

After a layup by Humes, the Hilltoppers went on a 9-0, including a 3-pointer by sophomore forward Janae Howard.

Jones gave Kent State its first points after the scoreless streak on a 3-point shot to make the score 57-44.

The Flashes were halted after a 3-pointer by Brown to give the Hilltoppers a 71-62 lead with 1:48 remaining in the game.

Contact Brad Tansey at [email protected].