RPA_03_Forthofer_Debate

American flags, political signs and shouts from passionate citizens caught the attention of all who passed the crowd-covered lawn at the University of Toledo’s north campus.

Democratic candidate, Ted Strickland, and Republican candidate, John Kasich, met for their second and final gubernatorial debate at the Driscoll Alumni Center in Toledo last night.

Boisterous and energetic supporters from both parties gathered for a pre-debate rally outside the center all claiming to be there for the same single cause….Supporting the future of Ohio

Inside, the candidates’ core focus was the state’s lack of jobs… both claiming to have the plan that will save Ohio’s future economy.

Kasich: (GRAPHIC)

“The bottom line is we need to have a job-creating environment and culture in this state…we can get it done.”

SOT: John McAvoy

“GOVERNOR STRICKLAND IS NOT FRIENDLY TO BUSINESS. I’M A BUSINESS MAN AND WHAT YOU’RE DOING IS DESTROYING MY BUSINESS.”

Strickland denies he has any fault in the fall of Ohio’s job market and promises improvement.

Strickland: (GRAPHIC)

“We have taken firm action to stabilize this economy, the freefall has been stopped, and all you and your friends want to do is just

criticize and say no, no, no.”

SOT: Susan Durant

“HE STANDS FOR OHIO VALUES, NOT WALL STREET VALUES WHICH MEANS THE AVERAGE PERSON, YOUR MOM OR YOUR DAD…THAT BLUE COLLARED WORKER…EVEN THAT WHITE COLLARED WORKER.”

Neither candidate tackled the big issue regarding the 8 billion dollar shortfall in the state budget but both promise a bright future filled with plans for better education, more jobs for Ohioans and no raising of taxes.

Kasich currently holds a 4 point lead on Strickland in the race for Ohio governor.

For TV2 News, I’m Lauren Forthofer