Ways to stay healthy this winter

Caitlin Restelli

Kimberly Quillen has noticed everyone getting sick. She said the illnesses are “traveling quickly in close quarters.” Quillen, sophomore fashion merchandising major, is trying her best to not get what is going around campus.

It’s that time of year again. Coughing attacks are becoming more common in classrooms and sneezing fiascos can be heard walking across campus. The common cold, sinus infections and sore throats are leading students to the DeWeese Health Center. The sick season is back in Kent and students are learning to deal with it.

“I’m getting enough sleep and eating healthy,” Quillen said.

Sadie Fellows, freshman piano performance major, said the common cold has made its way into Music and Speech Center. Germs are spreading faster because students are sharing each other’s instruments.

“I wash my hands frequently and I will use Clorox bleach wipes to clean my room,” Fellows said.

Amanda Williams, freshman fashion design major, is currently in good health and is also trying her best to stay away from the cold’s path.

“A girl in my design class was sick,” Williams said. “She was kind enough to stay in the corner.”

With the common cold already making its way across campus, the flu is waiting to come out. The timing of the flu varies, but it mostly peaks in the U.S. in January or February. To prevent students, faculty and staff from getting the flu, flu clinics are being held in October and November. Sharon Briggs, health educator with University Health Services, shared tips to avoid getting sick this season.

Advice to avoid getting sick:

Hand washing- Use a lot of soap and water. Sing “Happy Birthday” or “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,” which are each approximately 15 seconds long. When in a public restroom, turn on the water, get a paper towel, wash hands. Then, turn off the faucet with the paper towel. If soap and water is not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Avoid touching mouth and eyes.

Cough and sneeze into elbow, NOT your hands. Use disposable tissues, not hankies because it keeps the germs in place. Remember — throw your tissues away.

Get the flu shot at the Flu Clinic on campus. Faculty/Staff: $20. Students: $15. Not getting sick: priceless. For information on times and locations, visit DeWeese Health Center’s website: www.hus.kent.edu.

Get proper rest. That means 8 hours. No all-nighters.

Eat healthy. Everything your mother told you is true.

Try to avoid close contact with sick people.

-Sharon Briggs, health educator

You can contact Caitlin Restelli at [email protected].