RPA_WebStory4_Vietmeier_TimRyan

Bethany Vietmeier

Tim Ryan

Age: 37

Party: Democrat

Resume: Congressman- Ohio’s 17th District, Ohio State Senator, Congressional aide with the U.S. House of Representatives

Bio:

After graduating from Bowling Green State University with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Tim Ryan went onto receive his Law degree from the Franklin Pierce Law Center in Concord, New Hampshire. He began is politics career in 1995 as a congressional aide with the U.S. House of Representatives. From 2000 to 2002, Ryan served a term in the Ohio State Senate. Also in 2002, he declared his candidacy for the congressional seat for Ohio’s 17th district after Jim Traficant was convicted on criminal charges. In January of 2003, Ryan was sworn in as a member of Congress. He is now in his fourth term.

Issues:

Economy

Tim Ryan is focused on the development of the economy within Ohio’s 17th district. He plans to bring new life to manufacturing (green technology), increase alternative energy resources, construct a regional tech belt that would stretch from Cleveland to Pittsburgh, increase technology development at local universities and support the Youngstown Business Incubator. To make all of this possible, Tim Ryan reportedly obtained millions of dollars in federal earmarks and grants.

Health Care

Tim Ryan believes no Americans should have to declare bankruptcy for not being able to pay medical bills. In his 17th district, there are 72,000 Ohioans without health insurance. Ryan feels the new healthcare legislation is crucial for the people and could save about 1,660 individuals from going bankrupt because of medical bills.

Higher Education

Tim Ryan introduced The Ryan Amendment to help the price of higher education be more affordable. The Amendment hopes to lower the cost of tuition and make the cost of textbooks more affordable. He wants college campuses in American to offer textbooks for rent. This could cut the cost of the books by one-third.