Flashes’ offense stalls against Boston College

Lance Lysowski

Kent State (1-1) could not overcome turnovers and Boston College’s defense as the Flashes fell to the Eagles 26-13 today at Chestnut Hill, Mass.

Boston College (2-0) limited Kent State to just 205 total yards of offense. On the other side of the ball, the Eagles were aided by a second-half resurgence by sophomore quarterback Dave Shinskie.

“We played a really good football team today,” Kent State coach Doug Martin said. “What we talked to our players about was if we came up here and did not beat ourselves, we could get Boston College into the fourth quarter and have a chance. Even with the turnovers, we got into the fourth quarter and had a chance. That bodes well for our team, and what we have a chance to do within our conference.”

After being pulled by Boston College coach Frank Spaziani in the second quarter, Shinskie returned to lead the Eagles down the field before halftime. The Eagles settled for a field goal, but the sophomore led Boston College to 20 second-half points. The signal caller finished with 192 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

The Flashes had trouble moving the ball on the Eagles’ defense from the beginning. Boston College stopped the run, while limiting sophomore quarterback Spencer Keith’s opportunities to stretch the field.

Keith recovered from a slow start but only to struggle again in the second half.

Martin said his starting quarterback’s game was off today, while Keith admitted that the team’s mistakes cost them the game.

“The first mistake was a bad decision on my part,” Keith said. “I should have looked down to a different check down, and a (defensive lineman) dropped back and picked it off. On the second one, I overthrew the receiver. I have to get the ball down on those slants. We knew their defensive scheme, but a few mistakes hurt us down the stretch.”

With seven minutes left in the third quarter, senior defensive lineman Quinton Rainey recovered a Boston College fumble on the Eagles’ 29 yard line. Kent State failed to capitalize on the opportunity, settling for a field goal; narrowing Boston College’s lead to 13-6.

After the Eagles went three-and-out, the Flashes looked to get a chance at tying the game, but sophomore running back Dri Archer fumbled the punt. Boston College recovered, and Shinskie followed with a 31-yard strike to sophomore wide receiver Clyde Lee — giving the Eagles a lead they would not surrender.

Special teams, known as one of Kent State’s strengths, cost them today. The Flashes fumbled three punts; two of which were recovered by Boston College.

Archer fielded punt returns in the absence of senior running back Eugene Jarvis. Martin said the loss of Jarvis, who missed the game because of a groin injury, also took a toll on Kent State’s rushing attack which amounted five yards.

“You take for granted somebody just going back there to catch the ball, much less make the plays he makes in the punt game. It hurt us at running back today,” Martin said. “I thought running backs would have played better than they did. Our offensive line played better than we made them look like; we missed a lot of cuts today.”

With Boston College holding a 26-6 lead with less than three minutes to play, Keith threw a 32-yard touchdown pass to Archer but it was not enough as the Flashes’ fell to Boston College for the third year in a row.

“We’ve come a long way, playing this team three times in a row from where we started,” Martin said.