Lt. Gov. candidate comes to Kent

Kelley Stoklosa

Yvette McGee Brown, Ohio Lt. Gov. Democratic candidate, spoke to Kent State students today about the importance of higher education in the lower level of Eastway.

The Undergraduate Student Government brought Brown to campus as part of its nonpartisan political candidate series. The NAACP, Black United Students and the College Democrats also hosted the event.

During her visit, Brown told students not to count themselves out of today’s global economy.

“The economy is slow, but if you prepare yourself, the opportunities are going to be there,” she said. “Even if you have to take out a student loan, understand that is an investment. You will be able to pay that back.”

Brown told the audience how it took her 12 years to pay back her student loans, but she always remembered that after earning her education no one could take it away from her.

“That student loan has lasted me far longer than that first car loan or that first apartment,” she said.

Brown said she and Gov. Ted Strickland plan to keep higher education accessible for all students and prevent tuition increases.

Strickland capped the tuition hike at 3.5 percent last year after a two-year tuition freeze in the state.

Brown said she plans to be active if she is elected and will continue to align community colleges with public universities, so credits transfer easier from school-to-school.

“I am not going to be a ribbon cutter, showing up for ceremonial things,” Brown said. I’m going to be doing work.”

Jasmine Harris, sophomore human development and family services major, said she was encouraged by Brown’s speech because she recognizes the problems in Ohio’s education system.

“There are a lot of things we forget, educational-wise, as far as getting a good education,” Harris said. “I liked how she talked about not just higher education but starting in elementary school and raising graduation rates, especially in Cleveland.”

Contact Kelley Stoklosa at [email protected]