Afternoon Newscast – Tuesday, September 21st, 2010

From the Franklin Hall Newsroom, it’s Tuesday, September 21st. I am Doug Rogers and here’s what’s happening.

If you plan on heading to the recreation and wellness center, don’t be afraid to wear a sleeveless shirt. The rule forcing students to wear shirts ended May 24th.

Ohio governor Ted Strickland will speak to Kent State students Monday. The speech will begin at 10:15 AM in the KIVA and conclude with a question and answer session. Lieutenant governor candidate Yvette McGee Brown will accompany the governor.

The Senate voted against removing the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy today, according to MSNBC. The U.S. military policy prevents gays from serving openly. The ban has been in place for 17 years.

A helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan today claimed the lives of nine international troops. According to USA Today, two coalition service members, an Afghan National Army soldier, and a U.S. civilian were injured. NATO learned from local officials mechanical problems caused the crash.

Kid Cudi is performing at the MAC Center November 4th. The show will start at 8 PM and feature accompanying act, Gorilla Zoe. Tickets will be sold to Kent State students starting October 1st. They will cost 20 dollars with student ID. Ticketmaster will begin selling tickets to the general public for 40 dollars starting October 2nd.

For more news, sports and entertainment updates, head on over to BlackSquirrelRadio.com and KentWired.com.

From the Franklin Hall Newsroom, I am Doug Rogers and that was your news in a nutshell.