Become a fan, all over again

Josh Johnston

Senior Eugene Jarvis, junior Jacquise “Speedy” Terry and sophomore Dri Archer aren’t your typical running backs at the college level.

I walked onto Kent State’s campus three years ago still wearing shirts from my high school. I bled my school’s red and Columbia blue colors.

I was also in marching band my freshman year, which meant I had to sit through Kent State’s 3-9 football season (which included a 49-3 beatdown by Ohio State). I remember wondering why anyone would actually want to watch this school.

Three years later, I’m sitting at a desk in the newsroom in Franklin Hall as this semester’s sports editor wondering why students aren’t more excited about Kent State sports.

All but three of Kent State’s teams posted winning records last year. The Flashes collected nine Mid-American Conference championships. Kent State picked up both the Reese and Jacoby cups — awards for the best men’s and women’s sports programs in the MAC.

And then there’s that national award: The Excellence in Management Cup for the athletics program that wins the most conference and national championships while spending the least amount of money. Granted, all of Kent State’s championships were in the MAC, which isn’t exactly a power conference, but a national award is a national award, right? So take that, USC.

My point is, you can put away that high school letterman jacket and TiVo Ohio State’s season opener Thursday. Instead, go to Dix Stadium and watch senior running back Eugene Jarvis’s return as Kent State opens against Murray State. And then take in a field hockey game at Murphy-Mellis Stadium or a volleyball match in the M.A.C. Center.

Heck, go join the Cowbell Crew (Kent State’s student cheering section) while you’re at it.

This semester, my staff and I will work tirelessly to provide you the most comprehensive coverage of Kent State sports out there. We’ll be writing, shooting video, taking photos, tweeting, blogging and traveling to road games throughout this fall for you, the fans.

So I hope you check this page out every once in a while and let us know how we’re doing. And I hope you enjoy the content my staff and I produce this semester.

Because we believe Kent State is worth covering. And worth watching.

Contact sports editor Josh Johnston at [email protected].