At Kent State, everything you need is within reach

Ryan Krahe

Incoming freshman students can expect to find whatever they need for the next four years within their grasp right on this campus.

The Center for Student Involvement, the Academic Success Center, the DeWeese Health Center and an on-campus post office are just a few of the things Kent State offers its students.

The university has all the resources of a city, and it is important to know where to find those resources. All over campus you can find what you need to survive as well as additional services.

When you want to find a student organization that fits you, visit the Center for Student Involvement (CSI).

“We are a source for what’s happening around campus,” said CSI secretary Rachelle Fraise.

Their offices are located on the second floor of the Student Center. With more than 230 student organizations on campus, there is something for everyone. If you are looking to find out what’s going on during the weekend, CSI has an e-mail service that will let you know about everything going on at Kent State.

To get on the list, just stop in the CSI office and give them your e-mail address. “If anyone wanted to be involved with student organizations, or Greek life or anything of that sort, we would be the people to see.”

They also have an e-mail service to let you know about upcoming community service events. (Look them up at http://www.dept.kent.edu/csi)

The Academic Success Center is where you can setup appointments with tutors for most subjects. The office is located in Room 207 of the Michael Schwartz Center.

They offer drop-in tutoring at the library, Tri-Towers, Prentice Hall and Manchester Hall. All locations have drop-in tutoring Sunday through Thursday. If you feel you study best in a group, study group tutors are setup for history, sociology and psychology.

If you want to sign up for a scheduled math tutor, you can do so in their office. Just stop in between 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday to set up your appointment times and fill out some information about yourself. If you need another subject, the center will select a tutor who will be able to help.

Peer mentors can be set up for core classes, time management and more.

“We try to get stuff in the paper and still not many know about us,” said Ryan Pethtel, a Computer Applications tutor.

The Academic Success Center plans to advertise more this semester to let students know they are waiting to help.

When you get sick, the DeWeese Health Center is the place to go. More than 22,000 patients are treated there each year.

It is located across the street from Beall Hall. “If you’re a registered student here at Kent, you are eligible to receive services at the health center,” said Mary Reeves, Director of University Health Services at Kent State.

Even if you do not have insurance, you can still be treated at the Health Center. “If you don’t have insurance, your office visit is free,” said Reeves.

Your financial need will be assessed, and you will pay for services based on your needs. Emergency cases can also be taken to the Health Center. When you schedule an appointment, you will normally be seen within 24 hours.

You can schedule over the phone or online at www.uhs.kent.edu. The pharmacy at the Health Center also fills prescriptions and offers over-the-counter medications to students. On top of the convenience of the Health Center, students also receive discounted prices on some medications.

The Kent State Post Office offers every mail service you need to send your packages and letters to the far corners of the world. The post office is located in the basement of the Student Center, next to Jazzman’s Café.

The only service they do not offer is Global Express, and they do not take credit cards. Miranda Cunningham, a manager for the post office, said she believes only half of Kent State students know the post office on campus even exists.

“Some of the students we get down here don’t even know how to fill out an envelope,” said Cunningham.

There are fun things to do on campus too, such as the bowling alley located beneath the Eastway Café. If there are not enough hours in the day for you to go see new movies, check out Reel Late Reels. Movies are played every Friday and Saturday night at 11 p.m. in the Kiva (located adjacent to the Kent Student Center). Also, don’t forget to play pool in the basement of the Student Center.

Contact news correspondent Ryan Krahe at [email protected].