New members appointed to the Board of Trustees

Nick Glunt

As two members leave, philanthropist and student take on new responsibilities

As two out of 11 members of Kent State’s Board of Trustees end their terms in office, Gov. Ted Strickland appointed two new members to the board.

Cleveland native Margot James Copeland and Brady Ruffer, junior integrated social studies major, joined the ranks of Kent State’s governing body on May 27, the formal announcements for which were made Friday in a press release.

Copeland and Ruffer take up their positions with experience under their belts, according to a press release compiled by Emily Vincent, university media relations director.

Copeland is the executive vice president for KeyCorp and is the chair of the KeyBank Foundation. As such, she “guides the company’s strategic philanthropic investments.” Copeland has also held executive positions in the Greater Cleveland Roundtable and Leadership Cleveland, as well as four other boards of trustees.

“Margot Copeland has been a great partner to Kent State in terms of philanthropy,” said Charlene Reed, executive assistant to the Board of Trustees. “We are delighted and fortunate to have her. She will bring a terrific perspective.”

Ruffer is involved with the Student Success Program and student government. He is also a member of the National Society for Collegiate Scholars.

Vincent said Copeland is replacing Brian Tucker, whose term ended this year, and Ruffer is replacing Erin West, who graduated.

Tucker graduated from Kent State and continued to serve the university after graduation and before his appointment to the Board of Trustees, Reed said. She said he will continue to serve the university even now. West gave the greeting to incoming students on behalf of the Board of Trustees this year, Reed said, and is attending Kent State next year as a graduate student.

When asked if she thinks Copeland and Ruffer will adequately fill these positions, Reed responded simply, “Oh, yes. Definitely.”

Contact administration reporter Nick Glunt at [email protected].