Verder Living Arts Week

Samantha Worgull

Students and parents circled the art gallery in Verder Hall on Friday night, admiring art pieces students had submitted as part of the hall’s Living Arts Week.

Living Arts Week began Sunday, April 25, and ended on Saturday with Soundfest.

“I think that people are mostly excited about the art gallery and Soundfest,” said Mary Miller, studio mentor at Verder Hall.

The gallery displayed fashion pieces, monotypes, oil paintings, glasswork and many others types of art.

“It’s nice to be able to show my work that I do outside of classes,” said Danny Lawler, junior fine arts major. “I was able to put my monotype pieces up, and I also do portraits and ink drawings as well.”

There were many other activities students could participate in this week, Miller said. Some of those included a graffiti wall, the junkyard fashion show and an improv show.

“The purpose of this week was to allow people to get knowledge about the arts,” Miller said. “And for people to see just how artsy we are.”

Verder Hall houses an array of art students, Miller said. There are mostly fine arts students but also music and fashion majors.

The hall has in-house art studios for all majors.

“The studio is open all night, and students are allowed to keep all of their materials here,” Miller said. “It is nice because we can talk about ideas, resources and also supplies.”

The hall used to house visual communication design students but now most of them live in Olson Hall, she said.

“It kind of sucks that VCD majors aren’t in here anymore,” said Billy Graves, sophomore visual communication design major. “The week full of programs dedicated to the arts just shows how much different Verder is from other dorms.”

Contact room and board reporter Samantha Worgull at [email protected].