Campus clubs offer artistic options

Allison Smith

Anime Club

Rachel Barnstable, a junior computer design and animation major, is president of the KSU Anime Society on campus.

Anime is a Japanese style of animation. Pokémon, Dragonball Z and Digimon are all shows that began in Japan, but gained popularity in the United States.

She said they usually watch Japanese anime, but they recently had a game night.

“We watched ‘I Survived a Japanese Game Show’ where Americans go over to Japan and play Japanese game shows,” she said. “So we tied that in. We want to do culture nights eventually.”

Barnstable said a lot of people in the club are fine arts or animation majors and draw their own anime.

Meetings are from 6 to 10 p.m. on Fridays on the second floor in the Math and Computer Science Building.

Art History Club

The Kent State University Art History Club’s overall goal is to get students more involved outside of the classroom and more aware of student artists and their shows, Carolyn Corrigan, president of the club and senior art history major, said.

“We’re actually a pretty small group now,” she said. “All of our officers are art history majors, but anyone is welcome to join.”

Corrigan said the club meets every other Wednesday at 8 p.m. At meetings, they organize and put out a newsletter with interviews featuring a student artist.

“We have movie nights where we watch either documentaries or movies that are slightly based on art,” Corrigan said. “We just had a speaker come in to talk about graduate programs.”

The club is also hosting a tableau vivant (French for “living picture”) contest that’s open to anyone. Contestants imitate their favorite work of art and send a picture in for a chance to win two tickets to the movies.

American Institute of Graphic Arts

Kent State’s chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts, or AIGA, is part of the national organization. According to the Web site, AIGA events include speakers, outings, presentations at high schools and an annual portfolio show and meet and greet.

The chapter’s Facebook page states “the purpose of AIGA is the further excellence in communication design as a broadly defined discipline, strategic tool for business, and cultural force.”

Contact features reporter Allison Smith at [email protected].