What some faculty members are doing and have done over break

Allison Smith

Bill Merriman, professor

of psychology

Then

“I went down to Appalachia in Hot Springs, Tenn., and helped people with rehabbing homes down there. So it was kind of like a service project. I was never one for going to Fort Lauderdale.”

Now

“I’m going to rest, and I actually have a research project that I have to catch up on. I have to do some writing, too.”

Sarah Harvey, assistant professor of modern and classical language studies

Then

“When I was in college, actually I spent my junior year abroad in a program I went to in Rome, and I’d just spent the spring semester there, so I spent my spring break in Florence. So I think that was probably one of the more memorable spring breaks I’ve had.”

Now

“I want to finish my taxes; that’s my number one goal. I want to finish revisions for a publication I’m working on and just prepare for some things in the next part of the semester.”

Renee J. Johnson, assistant political science professor

Then

“I never did the ‘go to Florida’ spring break thing as an undergrad. My financial resources when I was an undergraduate just didn’t allow me to do anything. I mean, I went home. I went to school in Appleton, Wisc., and I went home to Milwaukee for spring break. I basically went home to catch up on sleep, do laundry and eat properly for a week.”

Now

“I am going to Florida, but that’s also my home. Normally I’d take a cruise, but this year we’re staying close to home and catching up on work.”

Rebecca Pulju, assistant history professor

Then

“The most fun thing I did was, my university had service trips and I took a trip down to Selma, Ala., and volunteered for break. It was this worker house that was in Selma so we did all sorts of things. I worked at a library, volunteered at the high school one day, just did sort of public service work downtown.”

Now

“I am planning on catching up on the million things that I should have done so far this semester. So I’m planning on staying in lovely Kent, Ohio and working.”

—Allison Smith