Tech Spot service now includes commuters

Kaylee Remington

Former ResNet caters

to more computer issues

Off-campus students will no longer need to worry about finding a place to get their computers repaired.

Tech Spot, formally known as ResNet, has changed its features so off-campus students are able to get their computers repaired on campus in the Tri-Towers Rotunda.

ResNet was first started to help on-campus students with problems with the university’s network connection.

“We went above and beyond that,” said Michael Carson, senior IT user support analyst for Tech Spot.

Tech Spot employees are also contacting faculty and staff about the services they offer, but only personally owned computers can be repaired.

Carson said Tech Spot was renamed over the summer to differentiate from ResNet, allowing students, faculty and staff to know its services extended beyond its former network-only assistance policy.

In addition to serving those off campus, Tech Spot now offers more services besides the regular technical issues.

Students can come in for virus and spyware removal, which costs $35 and is the most common service that students use, Carson said.

Another service Tech Spot offers is hardware installation. Employees will direct the student to the hardware they should purchase. Carson said the old services of ResNet are still available.

“We have the network problems that are still free,” he said.

Tech Spot also works with Dell to make students’ computer problems less of a hassle.

“We are able to order parts from Dell, but only if the computer is under warranty,” Carson said.

Tech Spot is currently trying to get Apple parts shipped to them for those who have an Apple computer under warranty as well.

Carson said business is going well, with students coming to them for hardware problems more than when it was ResNet.

“There were times in the middle of the semester where we weren’t getting any business,” he said.

To date, there have been over 3,000 customers who have come to Tech Spot for repairs, according to data provided by Wendy Shih, director of information technology.

Contact technology reporter

Kaylee Remington

at [email protected].

Other services

offered by

Tech Spot:

• Data backup and recovery — $40

• Operating system/ major software issues

— $30

• Minor software/hardware issues — $20

• In-room troubleshooting/non-network- Limit two hours — $40

• Computer optimization

(Does not include

virus removal) — $25

• Combination of above services (and advanced hardware issues) — $50