Facebook users believe in Jedi, ‘dinosaur Jesus’

Erinn Best

Religious views category allows for some humor

Filling in the “religious views” category might make some of the 350 million Facebook users worldwide indulge in soul-searching.

When creating a profile, the popular social network asks a user to answer questionnaires about their religious views along with interests, relationship status, hometown and political views.

A person can be as vague or as specific as he or she wants when adding his or her religion into the small, blank box.

The freedom of speech in this particular box has led to numerous miscellaneous answers and the list of religious views posted is never ending.

Many students at Kent State have a Facebook profile, and when asked about the “religious views” question, there was an array of answers and explanations.

“When I grew up, I never went to church, so I’m not religious at all,” said Laura Wray, junior sports administration major. “My religious status (on Facebook) is ‘that’s just silly’ because religion is silly.”

Junior communications major Charlotte Van Duzee has “Agnostic” typed into her religious views box on Facebook.

“I don’t really believe in God, but I’m not ruling out of anything else,” she said. “I’m just not sure what else is out there.”

Brad Smith, junior applied conflict management major, said he chooses to leave the box empty because religion is corrupt.

“I think religion has changed over the years to adjust to society, and is just a way to give people hope after death,” he said. “I do believe in God, just not in the sense that religion does.”

Other students say they think people should be more serious when answering the religion questionnaire on Facebook.

Senior hospitality major Jacob Moskowitz has “Jewish” typed into his religious views box and said many of his friends do not take it seriously.

“A lot of my friends deflect the religious views box with humor,” he said. “I can personally name a few with ‘Jedi’ typed in the box, and that’s just ignorant.”

Junior advertising major Jeska Dreger said many of her friends on the social network have random religions posted and are not taken seriously.

“One of my friends has ‘the god of Panera Bread’ written in his box,” she said. “You can be funny, but some people take it too far.”

One particular Facebook user has “dinosaur Jesus is my life, all hail,” in her religion box.

Abby Miller, sophomore history, political science and secondary education major, practices her own religion as a way to connect with her friends on campus.

“Many people just joke around when they answer the religion question,” she said. “I think some have ‘Christian’ (in the religion box) just to have something to say – because then you’re more likable, and that’s what a social network is all about.”

When a user fills in the optional “religious views” box, a link is created and other users are able to click the link.

The link will find a list of other Facebook members or groups affiliated with the same religion the user has posted.

According to a Washington Post article, the most popular faith professed globally on Facebook is Christian, while Islam comes in second and atheist is third. “Jedi” is No. 10 on the list of most popular religions.

Contact religion reporter Erinn Best at [email protected].