Kent State football team blown out by Temple

Nick Walton

Flashes give up 38 second half points

The Kent State football team’s slim chances of winning the Mid-American Conference East division disappeared today after a 47-13 loss at Temple.

After taking a 10-9 lead into halftime, the Flashes were outscored 38-3 in the second half, surrendering 24 points in the third quarter.

Before leaving the game in the third quarter with a shoulder injury, freshman quarterback Spencer Keith completed 18-of-31 passes for 232 yards, a 6-yard touchdown to sophomore wide receiver Kendrick Pressley, and an interception.

Sophomore quarterback Giorgio Morgan was ineffective after replacing Keith, completing no passes, throwing an interception that Temple returned 36 yards for a touchdown, and fumbling after being sacked. Senior quarterback Anthony Magazu completed 3-of-4 passes for 24 yards after Morgan was pulled.

Despite the return of sophomore running back Jacquise “Speedy” Terry from an MCL injury, Kent State’s rushing attack wasn’t able to help create any balance, with 65 total yards on 30 carries. Terry led the team in rushing with 39 yards on seven carries.

Freshman kicker Freddy Cortez made two-of-three field goal attempts in the game including a career long 46-yard kick with 4:46 left in the game.

After gaining a 12-10 lead in the third quarter, Temple continued its offensive onslaught with a 71-yard touchdown run by freshman wide receiver Matt Brown. Brown rushed for 156 yards on 18 carries, including another touchdown in the third quarter.

Temple Freshman running back Bernard Pierce, the conference’s leading rusher, only carried the ball once in the game before leaving with an injury in the first quarter.

The Flashes’ season concludes Friday at Dix Stadium against Buffalo.