Vice president of diversity to field questions

Kelly Petryszyn

Students can hear opinions about the university’s diversity climate directly from the vice president for diversity, equity and inclusion tonight.

As part of the Campus Conversations series, Vice President Alfreda Brown is answering student-submitted questions about diversity. The session, billed as “What do you want to know?,” will take place at 5 p.m. in the Kiva

Although Brown will start the dialogue, she doesn’t want to be the only one talking. She said she’d like to hear student perspectives on diversity.

“I like to see how students think and feel,” Brown said. She added that this will help her better understand how to address diversity issues.

The program fills a requirement for students taking the First Year Experience class. As of last week, 80 students were registered for the program, said E. Timothy Moore, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and coordinator of the event.

He said people need to become comfortable with diversity because it isn’t going anywhere. Diversity will be in the workplace, in neighborhoods and in communities.

“The more we can understand about different types of diversity, the more we can appreciate and celebrate differences, as well as commonalities,” he said.

Questions can still be submitted to [email protected] up until the program begins.

– Kelly Petryszyn