No one injured in East Summit fire

Leila Archer

Watch a video about the fire.

No one was injured in a house fire that broke out last night at 322 E. Summit St.

Lt. John Altomare of the Kent Police Department said the residents of the house were safely out before crews arrived.

Lt. David Moore of the Kent Fire Department said the fire was contained to one room, and there was smoke throughout the rest of the house.

He said the only damage to the house was in the room where the fire occurred, and it was mostly structural damage.

One of the residents (who asked not to be identified) broke through the window and grabbed a garden hose after getting out of the house safely.

All the pets, including a long-haired dachshund, got out safely.

The street was blocked off from South Willow to South Depeyster streets.

Altomare said officials will not know the cause of the fire until an investigation has been completed.

Moore said the residents were “very lucky” because the fire was not as bad as recent fires in Kent.

Contact public affairs reporter Leila Archer at [email protected].