No injuries in Willow Street fire

Pamela Crimbchin

Firefighters responded to a house fire at 324 S. Willow St. at about 12:20 a.m. yesterday.

The fire started in the kitchen, where residents were cooking on the stove.

“They were cooking french fries, and the grease caught on fire,” said Capt. Charles Palmer of the Kent Fire Department.

Police blocked both ends of the street to allow seven fire trucks access to the house.

Firefighters also broke windows to allow for ventilation.

No one was injured in the fire, but Palmer said about $40,000 in damage was done to the home.

Contact public affairs reporter Pamela Crimbchin at [email protected]