Trick-or-treat for UNICEF to help needy children

Simon Husted

Student organization seeks volunteers who will collect donations

won’t be the only reason students will dress up tomorrow. Students will be joining UNICEF KSU and College Democrats, among other student groups, to walk around neighborhoods and collect money for the United Nations Children’s Fund in the evening.

UNICEF provides shelter, education, health care and other services to children in need worldwide. This is the first semester a chapter has been established at Kent State.

“The reason we started this organization is because we care about people, and we trust human nature to say that you want to help each other,” said Anna Bailey, the chapter’s chair of publicity and awareness.

Anyone who wishes to participate in trick-or-treat for UNICEF can meet in Eastway Center at 5:45 p.m. tomorrow. UNICEF KSU officers will give each participant a small cardboard donation box to collect money from houses. There will be no formal route for the group, and volunteers are welcome to stay in one big group or disperse freely, president Taiwo Adesina said. Participants are encouraged to dress in costume.

Money raised before, during and after trick-or-treat for UNICEF will be collected between 11 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. Nov. 9 in the first floor lobby of the Student Center. UNICEF KSU officers said they prefer to collect donations that day, but if a volunteer is unable, they’re willing to make collections individually.

Aside from the volunteers attending the fundraising event, about 950 donation boxes have been distributed throughout the community, they said. Two hundred and fifty of those boxes were given to students at Lawndale Elementary School in Akron.

All the money collected between October and November will be donated to the UNICEF parent organization to fund and expand the services it offers.

Anyone with any questions about the trick-or-treat for UNICEF or collection of donation boxes should contact Adesina at [email protected].

Contact news correspondent Simon Husted at [email protected].