PRIDE! Kent and other groups show, discuss ‘Milk’ tonight

Kelly Petryszyn

Seven campus organizations team up to sponsor “Milk: The Story of Harvey Milk” at 7 p.m. tonight in the Kiva.

The program will include a screening of the film that won two Oscars and discussion about its content and the gay rights movement.

“This is an opportunity for students who might be unfamiliar with the gay rights movement to learn about people who are a different sexual orientation than themselves,” said Brenda McKenzie, associate director of the Center for Student Involvement.

The film chronicles the life of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man elected to public office in California. He served on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1977. Milk was assassinated in 1978 by Dan White, a former board member who had resigned, but wanted to return to office.

PRIDE! Kent president Max Harrington said it is one of those films that viewers can brush over the meaning. He will be part of the discussion about the film, and added that it is important to know the message of Milk’s work.

Milk also became a role model for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered youth and a source of hope, Harrington said.

Milk’s contributions are still remembered today. Just yesterday, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill establishing May 22, Milk’s Birthday, as “Harvey Milk Day” in California.

The groups sponsoring this event include the Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, the College of Arts and Sciences, the Women’s Resource Center, Residence Services, Residential Communities, PRIDE! Kent and the Center for Student Involvement.

Harrington said he hopes all involved groups help create a crowd.

“The goal is to pack the Kiva,” he said.

Contact diversity reporter Kelly Petryszyn at [email protected]