Seeing through to the end

Eddie Kilroy

It’s time for midterms. It is that time of the fall semester when all-night study parties become an everyday chore. Students cram for their lives in hopes of keeping the grade. The hard work is exhausting, tiring, frustrating and discouraging.

Many college students will feel that the need for a college education isn’t worth the stress and work they put in day in and day out. As I sit in one of the lunchrooms on campus, I hear many freshmen complaining that school isn’t worth it and that they should transfer to community college or drop out. My friends and I also are sick of our countless hours of research, papers and on-campus jobs. I even hear from seniors that they are counting the days to graduation.

My advice to those who are feeling the heat of school is to remember why you’re attending Kent State. It’s easy to forget the dreams and emotions that we carried since high school. Stress along with unexpected situations with money, family, health and friends can deter people from reaching their professional goals. At one point, everybody will forget about his or her initial intentions of attending school or completing some undesired goal that was left in the past. I will always remember the day I almost lost sight of my goals.

At the age of 14, I was a first-class scout of Troop 513 on a rock-climbing and repelling trip with my friends. My dad was helping supervise the camping event. But for the most part, we had the freedom to climb up and down any ledge we wanted. One ledge that I repelled down was approximately 150 feet high, and in the course of climbing down, I slipped and became stuck upside down on the cliff. Of course, after 15 minutes of panicking, I was able to fix the ropes and get myself safely to the ground.

At the next scout meeting, I asked the scoutmaster to take me off the roster because of what had happened. He told my father, who then talked to me later that evening about the choice I made. I will always remember him telling me “Ed, whether or not something bad happens, you can’t just quit. When you quit, you throw away your goals and aspirations. And when you throw those away, with time, you end up having nothing to show for yourself.”

Four years later, I gained my Eagle Award, the highest honor in scouts. My dad had taught me a valuable lesson that day, and I appreciate him for motivating me to get back on track. Now that I’m in college, my new goal is to graduate with my bachelor’s degree without being in too great of debt.

So, what is the point? Through times and struggles, through exams, homework, relationships, etc., we have to remember our intentions. We have to remind ourselves that we are in college to achieve our own personal goals. Through the highest of highs and lowest of lows, whether you travel the road alone or if your friends are there along the way, we are here to achieve our goals. Midterms are just a small step on the path to a degree, so let’s take the time to remind ourselves why we’re here. Let’s take on the challenges that life gives us, and see them through to the end of this journey that we call Kent State University.

Eddie Kilroy is a sophomore communication studies major and columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].