Campus flu shot clinics planned

Amber Wade

Vaccines available Tuesday in dorms

Flu vaccinations will be available to Kent State students in residence halls beginning Tuesday.

The shots are for seasonal flu. Shots for the H1N1 virus won’t be available until October.

Flu shots and flu-mist will be available for $12 at flu clinics in the residence halls on campus.

The seasonal shots are usually given in late October and early November. Vaccines are available because manufacturers finished production earlier than before in anticipation of the H1N1 virus, said Mary Reeves, director of University Health Services.

WHEN AND WHERE TO GET YOUR

FLU SHOT

• Tuesday, Sept. 8:ÿEastway Outreach Center (108 Fletcher).

• Friday, Sept. 11: Tri-Towers RotundaMain lounge across from Area Desk.

• Tuesday, Sept. 15: Centennial B –

Conference Room (enter via door facing Centennial Fields).

• Friday, Sept. 18: Stopher Hall, Room 154 – by Area Desk.

• Tuesday, Sept. 22: Dunbar Area Desk.

• Friday, Sept. 25: Twin Towers Lounge by Area Desk.

Source: University Health Services

The concern with H1N1, Reeves said, is the higher impact it has on a younger age group ranging from 16 months to 24 years old.

Those wanting a flu vaccination can register on the University Health Services Web site to schedule a flu shot.

They will fill out paperwork the day of their appointment, Reeves said, which will be reviewed by a nurse, and a decision will be made whether a flu shot or flu-mist will be given.

“We know we can’t prevent it,” Reeves said, “but we hope to mitigate it and have the lowest number of cases.”

University Health Services will offer vaccines, Reeves said, as long as students want them and it still has a supply. In preparation for the flu season and the H1N1 virus, six times as many seasonal vaccines were ordered compared to previous years, and more can be ordered as necessary, she said.

Contact health reporter Amber Wade at [email protected].