Kent State announces majority of courses remote, makes adjustments to campus life

KSU+LOL

KSU LOL

Kent State University announced it expects to offer up to 40 percent of fall semester classes in-person, with 60 percent conducted remotely.

The university released further information regarding course schedules, campus life and health and safety guidelines in an email Tuesday evening.

COURSES

The number of in-person courses will depend on how the university is able to use on-campus classrooms and learning spaces in accordance with physical distancing guidelines set by the state. It will prioritize courses where curriculum dictates in-person learning. Therefore, remote learning will be a significant aspect of students’ schedules.

The number of in-person versus remote classes students will experience varies depending on their majors, class selection, class standing and campus.

The university expects to have students’ revised fall course schedule completed and released during the first week of July. Current changes to class schedules are not yet final, and some courses currently listed as “remote” will be offered in-person, according to the press release.

The email also said new technology in each classroom will allow students who are immunocompromised or have underlying health conditions to participate in face-to-face classes, remotely. In addition, faculty members teaching remotely are participating in summer workshops through Kent State’s Center for Teaching and Learning in order to prepare a high quality remote learning experience.

Additionally, some classes may be moved to a new location, offered in a hybrid combination of remote and in-person classes or held through remote instruction. Remote classes will meet virtually at the same time they were originally planned. The email stated the university is working to minimize the impact on students’ class schedule as it finalizes classroom assignments.

After course schedule changes are made by the university, students will receive an email to their kent.edu account with a final course schedule. Students who have secured housing on campus will have the opportunity to change their decision once the course schedule is finalized. If they decide not to live on campus, their deposit will be refunded. Students have until July 10 to make this decision.

CAMPUS LIFE

While some learning will be remote, the university is still planning to provide opportunities to safely engage in on-campus experiences.

The Kent Campus Recreation Center will be open with reduced hours and limited capacity. Dining room seating will also be reduced, along with some menu offerings.

A student-led group is being formed to advise university leadership on shaping an engaging experience outside of the classroom.

HEALTH & SAFETY

An entire residence hall on the perimeter of campus will be reserved for students living on campus that may require isolation, according to the email.

Kent State is also establishing a COVID-19 Watch Response Team to manage and trace the effects of COVID-19 on all Kent State campuses and to develop a system for students, faculty and staff to report cases of the virus or potential exposure.

The university is investing in renovations to the University Health Services building so it can provide on-campus COVID-19 testing.

Kent State advises students to familiarize themselves with the Flashes Safe Seven principles, and it will provide students with two washable facial coverings. Details on how to receive the facial coverings are forthcoming.

Kent State will release more information regarding course schedules, campus life and health and safety guidelines during the first week of July. For more information, visit www.kent.edu/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs-student-faqs.

Contact Jenna Borthwick at [email protected]