More than weights and treadmills at SRWC

Students get involved with leagues, contests

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center offers 40 different leagues, tournaments, individual and dual contests throughout the year including flag football, basketball, softball, racquetball, badminton and table tennis.

Aside from the traditional intramural sports, the SRWC offers an abundance of men’s, women’s, and co-recreational open leagues to Kent State students and members of the SRWC community.

But the SRWC is more than just athletics. Students can sign up for customized fitness programs such as core training, kickboxing, Pilates, spinning, yoga and more.

Club sports

Club sports require greater time and financial commitments from members than intramurals, but offer a higher level of competition in exchange.

Teams are student-operated but remain closely affiliated with the university. These teams are like varsity sport teams because the clubs travel and compete against other institutions. They are different because the students are responsible for making their own competition schedules.

Members of club sport teams often have dues and hold fundraising events that vary based on the sport. Funds collected by the club are used to purchase uniforms, pay for travel expenses and pay contest officials.

Students can learn more about sport clubs from the rec center Web site and the contact information for club team student managers will be available the second week of classes.

“Getting involved at the (SRWC) keeps you in good shape,” said graduate student Luke Hufstetler. “Nobody wants to put on the ‘freshman 15.'”

Contact news correspondent Steve Opalko at [email protected].

Rec center offers activities for students

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center has a variety of activities for students, whether they are trying to stay fit, get involved in sports or just want to meet people and try something new.

For students enrolled in five or more credit hours at the Kent campus, the cost of using the rec center is covered by their tuition. Students enrolled in fewer than five credit hours can purchase a student membership for $70 per semester to use the rec center.

The rec center is open Monday through Thursday from 6 a.m to midnight, Friday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. and weekends from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Students must bring their FlashCard for admission.

For more information on the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, call (330) 672-4REC or go online to http://www.recservices.kent.edu.

Sports

• Intramurals

• Sport clubs

• Community leagues

Adventure Center

• Climbing wall and climbing

clinics

• Outdoor clinics

• Adventure trips

• Team building and leadership

challenges

• Outdoor rental center

Aquatics

• Swim lessons

• Masters swim

• Safety certifications

Fitness and Wellness

• Group X classes

• Instructional classes

• Personal training

• Fitness Flashes

• Fitness screenings

• Fitness orientations

• Nutrition

Source: The Student Recreation and Wellness Center Web site