Rec classes break up monotony of workouts

Cassandra Adams

The three-story Student Recreation and Wellness Center is packed with new and modern technology and machines that practically work out for you.

Blame it on the cold winter weather, a jam-packed schedule, late nights and extracurricular activities, but making exercise a regular part of a daily schedule can seem nearly impossible at times.

Students looking for alternatives from the monotony of gliding on elliptical machines can spice up a workout routine with an instructional class offered at the Rec.

“Tons of research shows if you like the exercise program and have someone to do it with, it will be consistent,” said Judy Watkins, group fitness and instructional programs manager at the Rec. “I think with any instructional class it helps keep a motivated, supportive attitude, and also accountability,”

There are a variety of classes offered this fall including Pilates, yoga, belly dancing, swing dancing, kickboxing, hip-hop and swing dance, among others.

Some classes are part of the Group X schedule – whose classes teach different routines every week so it’s easy to mix and match them. Students can purchase a punch pass for $36 in the pro shop to attend any classes.

Instructional classes are $22 for a seven-week session – the lessons build week-by-week.

Marianne Rieske, a certified yoga therapist and instructional class teacher, said students who attend class weekly learn to love working out.

“Seeing that ‘Ah-ha’ look and the (aligning of the spine) – their faces light up with this new experience with their body. They realize exercise doesn’t have to be a chore.”

Free demo week is Aug. 31 through Sep. 6. During this week, students can attend as many classes as they would like for free to get a feel for them and which ones they would like to attend regularly.

For a full list of classes and times, visit www.recservices.kent.edu.

Contact news correspondent Cassandra Adams at [email protected].

Other ways to break a sweat

Intramurals: Competitive individuals should consider adding intramural sports on their exercise roster. More than 40 various leagues are available for students to participate in, beginning early to mid-September. Included are kickball, flag football and basketball.

Personal Trainers: For those who need motivation, personal trainers are available for half-hour to two-hour sessions. Prices range from $17 for one half-hour session and $445 for 20 one-hour sessions. To find a personal trainer that best fits your needs, call the fitness suite at 330-672-0485

Ice Arena: Every Wednesday, students can lace up their skates and glide around the hockey rink. Hockey practices are canceled for the night between 10 p.m. and midnight so students can take advantage of the ice arena. Rink passes are $3 with a student ID and skate rental is $2.50.

Adventure Trips: These weekend getaways vary in price and include activities such as parachuting, white-water rafting and camping. Students can travel in groups of up to 15 and can rent all the equipment needed for a hiking or canoeing trip.

-Cassandra Adams