Flashes forge ahead: Interim provost, vice president for enrollment management answer fall semester questions in Facebook live event

Ciana WhiteReporter

Kent State students will receive an email later today about what their class schedule will look like for the fall semester. This email will include detailed information about whether classes are remote, web-courses or face-to-face. Eric Mansfield, executive director of university media relations, said students should be focusing on what the location of the class says. 

“If it says remote course, students will be learning from home, in real time,” he said. “If it says a building name and room number, that is a face-to-face course. If it says web-course, that is just a regular online course with no in-person contact or meeting time.” 

After viewing the final schedule, students still have time to change their fall schedules if they feel the need to. 

“Fall bills are released July 21, and the first payment deadline is not until August 7, so students have enough time to tweak their schedule that will best suit them to be successful this fall,” Mary Parker, vice president for enrollment management, said. 

All faculty will have office hours during the fall semester, both in-person and remotely. 

“We want our students to meet with their professors, all while practicing safety measures. Our faculty are eager to meet students again,” Interim Provost Melody Tankersley said.

Even though the upcoming semester might take a little longer to adjust to new guidelines, Parker said faculty and staff will take every step possible to ensure student’s success.

“College may look a little different, but our mission to teach and embrace students has not changed. We are going to be there for our students in any way possible because this will prepare them for the workplace,” she said.

There will be no additional charge to students for moving from a face-to-face class to a remote class. Parker said parents or students who have any questions about tuition can call One Stop. 

COVID-19 testing will be available to students at the Deweese Health Center. This testing is by appointment only, and students can find out more information on the health center’s website.

“We want to offer testing so that we can keep everyone safe and healthy,” Tankersley said. 

Students are also required to wear a mask or face covering when on campus. Administration is devising a plan to provide students with a “health kit” that includes face masks, gloves and hand sanitizer. Flashes Safe Seven is a guide of principles Kent State introduced to keep students safe. This guide will be a staple in reopening the campus in the fall, and students are strongly encouraged to follow it.

Study abroad is still on pause for the fall semester. In regards to students completing their internship requirements for graduation, they will need to contact their internship coordinator to see what steps they need to take for the fall. The grading for spring 2020 resulted in students opting for a pass/fail grade because of the pandemic. For fall, however, the grading is “back to normal” Mansfield said. However, some courses do offer a pass/fail option. 

Tankersley said she wants parents to feel comfortable sending their incoming freshmen to Kent in the fall and reassured them that the university is taking every step necessary to ensure the safety of all students.

“We are determined for your students to have the best experience possible at Kent State,” she said.

If students have questions about the reopening of campus or any coronavirus updates, they can visit https://www.kent.edu/coronavirus, and view frequently asked questions, important reopening information and guidelines for returning to campus.

Contact Ciana White at [email protected].