Black United Students ratifies its constitution for next semester

Kyle Roerink

The motto for Black United Students next year will be “know who you are.” The group plans to incorporate more conscious programming to help enlighten students about the issues and achievements in the black community, said Dylan Sellers, president of BUS.

Last night, the newly elected executive board of BUS introduced itself to its constituents. The executive board and those who attended voted unanimously to ratify article five, section one and two of its constitution.

The newly elected executive board members of BUS are:

President: Dylan Sellers

Vice President: Dierre Clift

Secretary: Jazmine Beidleman

Academic Chairperson: Harry Fowler

Program Director: Olivia Ryan

Political Chairperson: Adrianna Midamba

Community Chairperson: Ebonie Parks

Public Relations: Michael Stover

Historian: Antonio Stephenson

Section one now says all executive board members shall be elected at-large by the undergraduate student body at the Passing of the Gavel Ceremony instead of at another time and place. Section two now says the academic affairs chairperson is responsible for coordinating, facilitating and implementing the Ebony Achievement Awards. Sellers said the academic affairs chairperson was responsible for planning the Ebony Achievement Awards, but it was not in the constitution until the ratification.

“The constitution we had was updated for more modern terms,” BUS vice president Dierre Clift said. “There were things taken out in 1988. So basically what we did was take 1988 and put it together with the terms from this past constitution.”

The group is still looking for a treasurer and an assistant to the secretary.

“We had a very successful year with a lot of successful programming,” Sellers said. “We brought in a lot of new people in, and we hope to build onto that this year.”

– Kyle Roerink