Kent State hopes to draw in new students with the help of blogs

Rebecca Micco

Kent State is looking for different ways to draw in prospective students, and one of these methods is having current students blog about their experiences at the school.

Constance Brannon, graduate assistant for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, said the university believes it will help more potential students because prospective students like having access to Internet sources when looking for a college that would be right for them. They would rather do their research online than go out to the college.

Kent State hopes to create a personalized experience for prospective students by placing real student experiences at their fingertips and using blogging.

Each student blogger brings a new perspective of life here on campus because each person has a different set of experiences, Brannon said.

Admissions is looking for students who are involved on campus to convey their experiences to prospective students.

“Our student blogger staff is encouraged to write honestly and openly about their experiences here at Kent State because we value authenticity and want our prospective student readership to see the campus through the eyes of real students,” she said.

Brannon said bloggers for Kent State are expected to update their blog one to two times a week. They aren’t required to write about any specific topics, but they are encouraged to write about their classes, life on campus and their daily activities.

Kent State isn’t the first university to try this. Universities such as Ball State University in Muncie, Ind., and Dickinson College in Carlisle, Pa., have begun to use blogging as a recruiting tool as well.

Brannon said most universities don’t pay their bloggers, but Kent State will be paying bloggers $7.25 per blog.

“I think it’s a great idea to have students blogging,” said Emily Herczegh, senior health care administration major. “I would want to hear from students attending the university if I was an incoming freshman. It’s more realistic.”

Contact news correspondent Rebecca Micco at [email protected].