Kent State Stark presents theatrical production of ‘Alice in Wonderland’

Mary Jo Spletzer

Kent State’s Stark campus will present its final theatrical production of the season, “Alice in Wonderland,” this weekend at the campus’s Fine Arts Theatre.

Phillip Robb, director of the play and assistant professor of theater at Kent State Stark, said “Alice in Wonderland” is almost improvisational in its nature because it doesn’t require a lot of scenery and the actors create the characters as they go along, with very few props.

“This Alice is a little different; it’s not the Disney Alice,” Robb said. “It’s very close to what (Lewis) Carroll wrote, as opposed to what Disney turned it into.”

Robb said he chose to do “Alice in Wonderland” because it has been his favorite since he was a kid. It will also mark his final production, ending a 38-year career at the Stark campus. He has directed more than 130 productions.

“Alice in Wonderland” was adapted for the stage in 1970 by the Manhattan Project under the direction of Andre Gregory.

Performances will take place at 8 p.m. today and tomorrow. Additional performances will run at 8 p.m. on April 16, 17 and 18. The matinee performance will take place at 2:30 p.m. on April 19. “Alice in Wonderland” is intended for mature audiences only, and viewer discretion is advised.

All of the proceeds from tonight’s performance will benefit music and theater scholarships at the Stark campus.

Ticket prices are $10 for adults and $5 for non-Kent State students, children and senior citizens. All Kent State students are admitted free of charge with a current student I.D. For reservations and group rates, contact the Stark campus theater box office.

– Mary Jo Spletzer