Voices of Testimony hopes to minister in spring concert

Sara Petersen

The Voices of Testimony rehearsal Tuesday night wasn’t a typical choir practice.

Children ran around the practice room in Oscar Ritchie Hall and were picked up by various members of the choir as they greeted one another. Members taped the words to their songs, which are written on large pieces of colored paper, to the side of a wall instead of handing out sheet music. Instead of lining up in formation, the group prayed before its rehearsal for its spring concert tomorrow.

The Voices of Testimony is not just a choir. They have Bible studies, go to church and minister to other students.

“We’re not a church at all,” said Narkita Burrell, senior nursing major and secretary of Voices of Testimony. “We’re like a church, but we’re more of a ministry.”

The Voices of Testimony was founded in 1996 and is a nonprofit organization whose goal is to minister to students on campus. Anyone, even non-students, can join as long as the members are able to pay dues. Student members are required to maintain a 2.0 GPA.

The spring concert’s theme, “Reclaiming Your Identity,” was inspired by President Veronica Pitts, senior criminal justice major.

“The first person who put their identity in you was God,” Pitts said. “What we want to do is to encourage people who come that you can be more than … just what you are. And if you have issues or problems in your life currently, it doesn’t mean that you can’t be whoever God calls you to be.”

The free concert starts at 6 p.m. tomorrow in the Michael Schwartz Center auditorium. The concert will include prayer, scripture, praise and worship.

The Voices of Testimony will perform seven or eight songs with an intermission that will include a performance by the Givers of Anointed Movement, a dance ministry, and spoken word.

– Sara Petersen