DVD donations being accepted for troops in Iraq, Afghanistan

Kati Campbell

DVDs provide safety, help soldiers de-stress

The Communication Graduate Student Association is holding a DVD collection drive to send movies to troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq. CGSA will collect DVDs through April 17 and give the donations to AMVETS Task Force DVD.

DVDs can be dropped off at five locations around campus: Rooms 127 and 135 in Taylor Hall, the Army ROTC office, Room 111 in Cartwright Hall and the circulation desk on the first floor of the University Library.

Donating DVDs to our troops can help keep them safe by allowing them entertaining, indoor activities, said Rekha Sharma, a doctoral student in the School of Communication Studies.

“It’s helpful because it’s a safer way of entertainment, rather than being outside in a dangerous environment,” Sharma said. “It’s a de-stressor because they have very demanding jobs, and it lets them know people back home are thinking of them.”

Donnie Harbert, a doctoral student and instructor, said his friends in the military appreciate donations such as the ones being collected.

“I know first-hand I still have friends in harm’s way, and they really appreciate everything they get,” Harbert said.

All used and new DVDs will be helpful. Children’s movies will be given to the family members of our servicemen through the Family Readiness Groups of the National Guard.

“We recognize what the troops and their families have sacrificed,” said Harbert. “We’re lucky to have an organized, helpful partner.”

“It’s a matter of convenience, a lot of people wanted to get involved and by having things on campus, it’s easy to give back,” said Sharma.

Contact graduate studies reporter Kati Campbell at [email protected].