Social networking isn’t for everyone

Sara Scanes

Some students still not a member of Facebook’s 200-million user network

Not everyone has a Facebook.

While the site boasts over 200 million active users, there are young people who haven’t developed an addiction to social networking.

Katherine Pozuc, freshman integrated mathematics major, does not use Facebook, and she is not a member of any other social networking site.

“Everyone that I know has a Facebook,” Pozuc said. “But I don’t think I need one. If someone wants to know about me, they can ask me.”

Pozuc said the site is “cool,” but it’s just not something she wants to do.

Freshman nursing major Allison Stasick doesn’t have a Facebook either, and she doesn’t plan on making one. She does admit to feeling “left out” sometimes.

“I know there are social events where people are only invited through Facebook,” she said. “I might cave (because of that).”

So far, though, missing out on Facebook invites hasn’t made her give into temptation.

Stasick said one of her friends tried making her a Facebook behind her back, but when Stasick found out, she deleted it.

“She wanted me to get hooked on it, and it failed,” Stasick said. “I had a MySpace, and I felt like it took over my life. I just didn’t want to do that anymore.”

Stasick isn’t the only non-user whose friends decided to make a Facebook for them.

Anthony Garcia, freshman electronic media production major, said his friends secretly put together a Facebook for him, too. They added his friends, secretly took pictures of him and added some “pretty ridiculous” profile information before unveiling the completed page to him.

“I got pissed off,” he said. “They’re always trying to turn me into a franchise.”

After a while, though, the site grew on him, and unlike Stasick, Garcia said he has become hooked on the site.

“I like reading everyone’s little status updates,” Garcia said. “I know what everyone is up to.”

Garcia said he had a Facebook once before, but said he “couldn’t get into it” because “it was a lot of work.” When his friends made the Facebook for him, all the work was already done.

“I’m really into it. I go on it everyday,” Garcia said. “Before class. after class. if I can manage it, during class. I check it quite a bit.”

Now that Garcia has a Facebook, he’s starting to branch out into other areas of social networking.

“I joined Twitter (last week), and I haven’t done anything with it.” He paused. “Actually, I’m going to Twitter that right now.”

He slid his phone out of his front jean pocket and punched a handful of keys in quick succession. He flipped the phone shut with a snap, and put it back in his pocket.

“There,” he said. “I just Twittered.”

Contact general assignment reporter Sara Scanes at [email protected].