Spring break might mean theft

Ted Hamilton

Police tell students to lock up before leaving

Students returning from spring break may have more on their hands than which tale of debauchery they should share first.

Students need to be aware that burglaries are more frequent during break because criminals have a better chance at happening onto an unoccupied residence.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE

&bull Lock doors and windows

&bull Move valuables out of sight

*bull Close curtains and blinds

&bull Unplug electronics

Students can do several things to help prevent their belongings getting stolen during their vacation.

“Probably one of the best things people can do is to remember to lock doors and windows during spring break,” said Lt. Jayme Cole of the Kent Police Department.

People should also try to make their property look less inviting by putting valuables such as computers and TVs out of sight and closing drapes and blinds. Most of the burglaries are crimes of

opportunity, Cole said.

In the residence halls, security manager Brian Hellwig said burglaries have not been a problem in the past.

“Even though it hasn’t been an issue in the past, we still like to make sure it doesn’t become one,” he said.

To keep people’s belongings safe, security patrols the halls that are empty, as well as the ones that are occupied.

Alice Ickes, former crime prevention officer for the Kent State police department, said the would-be problems are partially alleviated because maintenance people and

security are still on campus.

“A lot of human presence really reduces those potential problems,” she said.

The halls are locked, and the card-swipe locks keep a history of who has used a key to gain entrances to buildings. Ickes said the fact that the locks keep a record really helps the KSUPD.

Ickes said students should also remember to unplug things before they leave so they do not lose their valuables to lightning or a power surge.

Maybe the easiest thing students who live off campus can do to prevent a break-in is tell someone they are leaving.

“Perhaps most importantly is to let the neighbors who stay behind know you are gone so they can keep a look out for anything,” Cole said.

Contact public affairs reporter Ted Hamilton at [email protected].