Web Exclusive: Kingdom advises students how to become leaders sooner, faster

Jenn Yokley

Change. It’s the key to winning an election, but more importantly, the key to becoming a successful leader in a global market.

“American business, the way that this country is moving, has got to be based on innovation.” said Scott Kingdom, global managing director for executive recruiting firm Korn/Ferry International.

Kingdom presented “Leadership – The Most Valuable Capital in the World” to a crowd of nearly 300 students last night in the University Auditorium.

The evening opened with Goodyear Executive Professor Gregory Hackett asking how many of his Exploring Business students were in the audience. With nearly every hand in the air, the students were then told that there would be a pop quiz following the speaker.

After the introduction, Kingdom began his presentation with a brief film, citing facts and figures about the rapidly changing workforce.

“Competition isn’t just the person in the classroom, it isn’t from the state next door, it isn’t from the same country. It is from the world,” Kingdom said. “And it is changing by the minute.”

He went on to discuss how this generation of businessmen and women have more responsibilities in a job position, and it’s important to become leaders sooner and at a faster pace than ever before.

“If you are not adding value every day, every week in every business, chances are you’ll be managing your own career by looking for a new one.” Kingdom explained.

Much of the presentation was a how-to for students. Kingdom gave tips and advice on how to become stronger leaders, not only emphasizing the need for innovation and ability to take risks, but also how to market yourself to employers.

“No one ever gets a job off of a resume,” he said. “You need to have a unique experience, stand out and more importantly, connect with a company of interest.”

Kingdom closed his presentation with what he felt was his most important advice to Kent State students.

“Forget the money for now,” Kingdom said. “Figure out what you love to do and go do it. The money will take care of itself.”

Patrick Dease, sophomore managerial marketing major, felt that the presentation was an important tool for students looking to succeed in the corporate world.

“I found it very useful to know how to go into an interview, how to talk to executives and how to conduct yourself when you’re in a business marketplace.”

Kingdom’s presentation was part of the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company’s Charles Pilliod Series. Since 1983, the series has brought professional speakers to Kent State twice each year to address topics of interest for both academic and business communities.

Pilliod, the retired chief executive officer of The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company, was instrumental in the 1973 creation of the Goodyear Executive at Kent State University. Pilliod also served as a United States Ambassador to Mexico from 1986 to 1989.

Contact College of Business Administration reporter Jenn Yokley at [email protected].