EPC to discuss agreements with Chinese universities

Maria Nann

Deals could bring more students to Kent State

The Educational Policies Council will meet today to discuss possible agreements between Kent State and two Chinese universities.

The first agreement is between Kent State and Shanghai International Studies University. It would allow Chinese students who have been accepted by Kent State’s master’s programs to study at Kent State for what would be the final year of their undergraduate studies. At the end of this year, eligible students would receive their undergraduate degree from SISU, and they would continue on to a fourth year to earn a master’s degree awarded by Kent State.

Therese Tillett, director of curriculum services at Kent State, wrote in an e-mail the agreement offers something similar to a program available to many Kent State students.

“(It) is very much like Kent State’s combined bachelor’s/master’s degree programs, where eligible students can earn both in five years,” she wrote. “Several master’s programs at Kent are a part of the agreement.”

The second, an agreement with Hong Kong Baptist University, is focused on a master’s degree in financial engineering. Eligible students would take courses for one summer at Kent State.

The curriculum and courses for this program have already been approved, Tillett said.

EPC will not take action on either of these items today. Faculty Senate Chairman Tom Janson said both agreements are in the information stages.

Other items requiring EPC action today are the revision of the First Year Experience FLASH Point course and the inactivation of the High Technology Manufacturing Technology major, which is offered at the Trumbull campus only.

Today’s meeting will be at 3:20 p.m. in Room 204 of the Kent Student Center.

Contact academic affairs reporter Maria Nann at [email protected].