One man’s waste can be another man’s treasure

Jessica M. Kanalas

‘Going green’ theme of Beaux Arts Ball

Hula hoops, cardboard boxes, music and food are just some of the components that make up tonight’s Beaux Arts Ball.

The event titled “Salvage,” which takes place in the Ballroom, is all about this generation’s newly-found passion to “go green.” Because of this, all materials used in the show are recycled.

“We want people to look at what they throw away in a new light,” said junior fashion merchandising major Gretchen Greenwood.

Three student organizations are presenting the event, which begins with a fashion show. A ball follows the show so guests can dance the night away, at least until the doors close at midnight.

The Fashion Student Organization, the Interior Design Student Collaborative and the American Institute of Architecture Students have all been working on plans for the Beaux Arts Ball since before school started.

The committee members all agreed that this year’s theme is “innovative and different.”

“Our generation has embraced the importance of recycling and environmental protection unlike any other,” the event’s program reads. “Salvage was chosen to give a voice to this cause.”

The fashion show

Thirty student designers will show garments they have created in a runway show during tonight’s event.

In order to turn the Ballroom into a fashion show, a large runway will be placed down the center of the room to create the needed walkway.

Garments made with anything from sponges and silverware to lampshades and leaves will be showcased by 21 models.

Garments are being judged before the show so that the designs can be awarded appropriately. Towards the end of the night, around 10:30 p.m., the winning designs will be announced.

The architecture

Sophomore architecture majors Adria Moyer and Nick Skowron are working with four other architecture students to put together the centerpiece of the ballroom.

It’s supposed to create another space within the bigger space of the room, Skowron said.

However, in order to see the finished product, guests must come to the show and dance to witness it’s completion in-person.

The tickets

Tickets are being sold today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Student Center. Students can also purchase tickets at the door.

The fashion show will begin tonight at 10 p.m.; however, doors open at 8 p.m. to allow guests time to enjoy a cash bar, punch and finger food.

Moyer said she wanted to stress that other majors outside of architecture, interior design and fashion may come to the show.

Attire for the show is semi-formal; however, committee members said they would love for guests to come in an outfit they created out of recycled material.

The show and dance for tonight is to prove how every day “waste” can still be used. And just as the New England proverb found on the front of the programs says: “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.”

Contact fashion reporter Jessica M. Kanalas

at [email protected].