Sorority hosts money management program for college students

Jasmen Woodson

Students gathered in the multicultural center in the student center Wednesday evening, to learn the importance of investing, budgeting and saving through the collegiate years.

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. hosted the program, Financial Fortitude which nationally recognizes one of the sorority’s Five-Point Thrust: Economic Development.

//

The program is a mandatory program for the sorority that is held yearly.

“Financial Fortitude: Saving Through College is just a program to help students realize that they can still budget and invest through college, although finances are little slim to none,” said Brittany Mayti, Treasurer of the Epsilon Mu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., at Kent State University. “It is possible to save.”

The program is designed to help students who can’t seem to save, create a budget that will help them reach their savings goal.

Investing in markets and creating savings and checking accounts, were ways students were told to save and invest in money.

A lot of students who graduate from college are in loan debt. Helping students on budgeting and prioritizing through school, and teaching them not to use his or her loan money to go on shopping sprees, need to be taught and implemented.

“We hope that the skills that they learn today, they can use and take with them once they graduate,” said Katrice Cain, President of the Epsilon Mu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., at Kent State University.

Jasmen Woodson | TV2 News