Soccer loses two at home

Nick Walton

Jackie Barath, Kent State junior midfielder, charges after the ball at the game against Central Michigan. Sam Twarek | Daily Kent Stater

After losing its last two games on the road, the Kent State soccer team was unable to end its losing streak at home.

Coming into the weekend, the Flashes (5-8, 2-4 conference) were 3-0 at home, but lost two home games over the weekend.

“It’s always tough losing, but losing at home is even worse,” senior midfielder Caitlin Hester said. “This is our field and we like to think that we won’t let anybody dominate us on our field.”

Yesterday, Kent State lost 3-1 to Eastern Michigan. The Flashes took a lead at the 28:25 mark, after a thow-in that was deflected by Eastern Michigan sophomore goalkeeper Maggie Manville. Hester was credited for the goal.

Kent State was unable to score again despite having eight shot-on-goals and 22 shots.

Eastern Michigan tied the game before the half when freshman forward Chelsea Detrick scored on a penalty kick at the 38:51 mark.

“I don’t think that necessarily took away from our motivation to win,” Hester said. “I think we just lacked the drive to come out and win in the game in the second half.”

Eastern Michigan took the lead at the 53:44 mark off a goal from junior midfielder Katie Lozar, and scored again at the 70:06 mark with a goal from senior midfielder Carissa Wilson.

“There are some times where some loose balls get put into the back of our net and we’re not putting some of the loose balls away,” Kent State coach Rob Marinaro said. “In the defining moments of the game we need a little extra effort.”

On Friday, the Flashes lost 4-1 to Central Michigan. The game was similar to yesterday’s game as Kent State had opportunities with 10 shot-on-goals but were unable to score.

“The final product of battling in the 18-yard box is to clear the ball or to put it in the back of the net and that was the difference,” Marinaro said.

Coming into the game, Central Michigan had not given up a goal in Mid-American Conference play. This streak was broken when Hester scored at the 82:53 mark.

Unfortunately for the Flashes, this came after they were down 3-0.

Central Michigan scored early with a goal from junior midfielder Stephanie Martin at the 7:42 mark.

“I think anytime you go down in the beginning of the game it doesn’t do anything good for your confidence,” Hester said. “I think that we became a little weary especially since they’ve been undefeated thus far.”

Junior forward Molly Gerst added two goals at the 17:45 and 80:26 marks to give Central Michigan a 3-0 lead. Sophomore defender Kristen Pelkki added another goal at the 84:08 mark.

Over the weekend, sophomore goalkeeper Kelly Sherwood recorded a total of 11 saves.

Marinaro said the team’s problem wasn’t finishing offensively but finishing as a team.

“I think our group offense needs to improve and we need to be a lot quicker with some of our decision making,” Marinaro said. “We need to put ourselves in a better situation to come out with winning opportunities.”

Game notes

All-time records

The loss to Central Michigan dropped Kent State’s all-time record to 6-5-2 against them. The loss to Eastern Michigan dropped the Flashes to 5-8 all-time against them.

100 games at home

Friday’s game against Central Michigan was the 100th game at the Kent State soccer field. The Flashes have a 62-35-4 record at home.

Contact sports reporter Nick Walton at [email protected].