Rec center readies for Bowman Cup race

Melissa Sidebotham

The 8th Annual Bowman Cup 5K Race for Ability will take place at 8 a.m. tomorrow, with a “1-Mile Walk & Roll” starting at 9 a.m., hosted by the Department of Recreational Services.

The race, named after the university’s fifth president, George Bowman, will begin and end at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

“We really encourage anyone, regardless of their ability level, to come,” said Jason Hawk, the Student Recreation and Wellness Center marketing coordinator.

New this year, the rec center has teamed up with Student Accessibility Services to make sure participants of all abilities have the resources they need to participate. A portion of the race proceeds will benefit the Special Olympics.

All participants will automatically be enrolled into a “1-Mile Walk and Roll” following the 5K race. All participants are encouraged to walk the route through the Kent campus to raise awareness for students with disabilities.

The top three overall winners, male and female, will win cash prizes. The winners will receive $75 for first place, $40 for second and $25 for third place. In addition to cash prizes, the first-place male and female winners will be recognized on the field during the Homecoming football game tomorrow against Ohio University. One participant from the “1-Mile Walk and Roll” will win a Kent State Athletics prize package.

The first 300 participants will receive Bowman Cup T-shirts. Everyone in attendance will receive a complimentary 5-minute massage, a free buffet, adaptive recreation demos and the chance to win raffle prizes from local vendors. All participants will also receive one football ticket to tomorrow afternoon’s football game.

As an incentive for people to sign up, the rec center is offering a Boston Mills/Brandywine Ski Resort prize package. Fill out an online referral form at www.recservices.kent.edu to be entered in the raffle. The prize package is worth $425 and includes five lift tickets for any day in the 2008-09 season, with optional equipment rental and lessons.

Registration on race day starts at 6:30 a.m. and goes until 7:45. Day-of registration is $25 for all participants.

Contact student recreation and wellness reporter Melissa Sidebotham at [email protected].