Sextoberfest expanded to better educate

Cody Francis

KIC organizer wants students to take away more than just condoms

Each year, students gather in the Eastway Center for a night of sex-related games, education and – the guaranteed favorite – a mass distribution of condoms. This year, however, Kent State will see an entire week of sex, instead of a one-night celebration.

TONIGHT’S EVENT

David Coleman, known as the “Dating Doctor” and “America’s real-life Hitch,” will speak at 8 p.m. in the Kiva as part of Sextoberfest week.

Coleman will talk to students about developing good interpersonal skills to take their relationships to the next level.

“He wants to help students get past the texting stage in a relationship,” Newberry said.

Coleman has been recognized as National Speaker of the Year 11 times by various associations, including the National Association for Campus Activities, and most recently by Campus Activities Magazine.

Coleman is the author of relationship books and CDs such as “Date Smart!”, “Prescriptions for Life and Relationships” and “Making Relationships Better.”

– Cody Francis

SEXTOBERFEST OCTOBER 20-24

MONDAY

• David Coleman Real American Hitch

When: 8 p.m.

Where: Kiva

TUESDAY

• Sex Toy Party

When: 9 p.m.

Where: Rathskeller

• Talk Sex with Phi Delta Theta

When: 9 p.m.

Where: Rathskeller

WEDNESDAY

• Drag Show

When: 9:30 p.m.

Where: Cartwright

THURSDAY

• Sex Talk with Sue Johanson

When: 8p.m.

Where: Ballroom

FRIDAY

• Sextoberfest & the Seven

Deadly Sins

When: 9 p.m.-12 a.m.

Where: Ballroom

– Sponsored by Kent Interhall Council

Ashleigh Newberry, vice president of programming and development for Kent Interhall Council, said the change will make Sextoberfest more enjoyable and informational for students.

Newberry, a junior, had never attended Sextoberfest, so the only information she had was from friends.

“All I would ever hear was, ‘It’s this big event in Eastway where you can get a bunch of free condoms,'” Newberry said. “As many people as I asked, that’s really the only answer anybody could give me.”

Newberry realized Sextoberfest was no longer about educating students about sex and safe-sex practices. It had become “the place where you get free condoms and a T-shirt.”

She said when she took over the planning, she wanted to mix in a little more education with the fun so students could actually learn something in the process.

“Playing a game where you throw a ring around a sex toy might be a lot of fun, but students can’t really take anything from that,” She said. “This year, we require every game at Friday’s main party to hold some kind of educational value.”

Newberry said expanding the event to an entire week is a benefit to students because it allows for big name speakers such as Sue Johanson from “Talk Sex” and the “Dating Doctor” David Coleman to share their expertise with students.

“It is going to open students up to more than one side of sex,” Newberry said. “We want to not only cover sex, but relationships and other important issues that go along with it.”

Contact room and board reporter Cody Francis at [email protected].