Kent State enters the realm of social networking

Sara Scanes

Since more young adults are using social networking sites, Kent State recently launched both a Facebook page and a YouTube channel to connect with students.

Lin Danes, electronic communication and Web content manager for University Communications and Marketing, said the pages aim to promote the university by reaching future, former and current students in a way that is familiar to them.

Danes said the goal of the pages is to help generate excitement as well as a sense of community among students. She said including alumni in the Kent State community is also important.

“(The pages) are for anybody who has taken that next step in maximizing social media,” she said.

According to YouTube’s virtual press room, 51 percent of users who visit the Web site at least once a week are between the ages of 18 and 55, and 52 percent of 18 to 34-year-olds share videos often with friends and colleagues.

Facebook has more than 55,000 networks, including college networks, and boasts an “85 percent market share of 4-year U.S. universities,” according to the company Web site.

The Kent State Communications and Marketing Web team launched the university’s YouTube page July 9. The Facebook page followed when Kent State activated it Aug. 20.

The Kent State YouTube page features 11 videos that allow visitors to virtually explore the academics and facilities at the Kent campus.

The Facebook page features five photo albums containing pictures taken at the Kent and regional campuses, a list of upcoming events for the Kent campus and an RSS feed to KentNewsNet.com. The page also has a link to the university’s YouTube page.

“We tried to have some things that would have significance for different audiences on campus,” Danes said.

While all content is currently managed by the communications Web team, students may soon be able to add their own content to the YouTube page. Before students can post or submit their own videos, Kent State must establish a set of guidelines regarding content, Danes said.

The Web team is also looking to expand into other social networking sites such as Flickr, Del.icio.us and Digg, Danes said.

Contact news correspondent Sara Scanes at [email protected].