AAUP hires new chapter coordinator

Maria Nann

Recent BGSU grad has worked for Humane Society and other non-profits

The American Association of University Professors has hired a new Kent chapter coordinator.

Coleen Casey, who has always worked for nonprofit organizations, started her new position at AAUP Sept. 2.

“I’ve always liked to work with a cause,” she said. “This was another case of that, and that’s why I was so interested in it.”

Casey graduated magna cum laude from Bowling Green State University in May, with a major in public relations and a minor in political science. Before coming to Kent, she worked at the Humane Society in Wood County as well as Humility of Mary Health Partners, a division of a Northeast Ohio Health System. Both are non-profit organizations.

The BGSU graduate said she felt comfortable being on a college campus, and this was one of the things that drew her to the AAUP position.

“This was an opportunity to stay in an environment I knew and liked,” she said.

Casey also said that she felt professors and faculty are an important part of the college experience. Part of her job eventually will entail helping faculty with any concerns that may arise concerning faculty contracts, although she is only in her fourth week of the job right now.

“Right now, I’m still at the beginning steps,” Casey said. “I’ll be working with professors who are members, working with any problems they may

have, or concerns.”

In the future, Casey said she will be doing some public relations work, as well.

“I’m going to do some things to try to get people to know AAUP more,” she said.

For more information on the association, visit AAUP’s Web site at www.aaupksu.org.

Contact academic affairs reporter Maria Nann at [email protected].